Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More tomatoes, Seeds for Spring

On the second of May (late here) I planted Romanette and Romano Gold beans. If I don't get some things in the ground, F. will cover the garden with his winter squashes. We can't afford the water, and we would always see him out there fighting with squash bugs.

Orchard Supply had heirloom tomato plants in stock last week. An Anna Russian (oxheart) went to David's parents. I have a Cherokee Purple and a Caspian Pink. I'm going to try grafting in a Big Beef rootstock to see if it makes a difference as far as disease resistancce and vigor. I killed my Porter Dark Pink Cherry somehow.

Today, I sent Mom seeds so that she would be ready to plant after Mother's Day - the typical safe date where she is:

Fortex pole beans

Magda hybrid Lebanese-style Zucchini (bred in France)
Sweet Zuke - a look-alike to the above in dark green - you need a knife for harvest to prevent broken fruits.
Zephyr hybrid - a remarkable summer squash from Johnny's with a little winter squash heritage
Precious II hybrid yellow straightneck squash

Ogen (Ha-Ogen, Israel) melon. I sent some of these seeds to a guy in the Midwest recently. He says that Ha-Ogen is an Israeli Kibbutz. He's been there. He was excited.

Trocadero hybrid Charentais melon

Cool Breeze hybrid gherkin
Diva hybrid cucumber

Both the above cucumbers are "burpless" all-female varieties. If not pollinated, they bear seedless cucumbers. Cool Breeze is a bumpy little European pickling type. Dive is a Middle-Eastern Beit-Alpha type.

Nero di Toscano kale - a tall, dark kale
Piricicaba broccoli - named after a river in Brazil. Heat-tolerant with thin, sweet stems.

I'll have to order some Sweet Success cucumbers for Mom. They're her favorite.

I found a Utah seed supplier with a Utah heirloom tomato called, "Purple Passion". It came from Kayesville. Early for an heirloom beefsteak type. Think I'll order some seeds for next year.

No comments: